Who is this course for?
This watersports course is designed for anyone who goes afloat and will need to do some first aid. You will have to do first aid anywhere and as you can see from this photo, we have to teach it anywhere! On this occasion, we are teaching CPR and how to use a defibrillator to the volunteers of The Matthew in Bristol Harbour.
- How to deal with emergencies on or around your vessel that require a first aid response.
- Basic lifesaving skills and support for colleagues.
- Health & Safety first aid regulations.
- Managing an emergency situation.
- Resuscitation (CPR) non-breathing casualty - includes AED training in a watersports environment.
- Caring for an unconscious breathing person.
- Angina/Heart attacks
- Anaphylactic shock
- The effects and treatment of cold water shock
- Hyper & Hypothermia
- How to deal with a drowning casualty or one who has apparently drowned
- Fractures, sprains, and strains
- Waterborne infections, e.g. leptospirosis and blue-green algae
- Head injuries
Emergency First Aid Certificate - valid for 3 years, this qualification is accepted by the Royal Yachting Association, for instructors.